10 anti-ageing actions steps
- Eat a balanced diet that includes raw vegetables, fruits, grains, seeds, nuts and quality protein such as fish and soy foods. Consume less animal protein. Include in your diet extra portions of broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, fish, fruits, green apples, whole grains, nuts, oats, seeds and soy beans.
- Avoid eating processed foods when possible – fresh is best!
- A low calorie diet is best for maintaining good health as you age. Try to eat only when you are hungry and consume foods that are fresh and cooked in a fashion that maintains their nutritional content.
- Frying food causes free radical damage to occur so best to avoid this method of cooking. Also avoid cooking with margarine as it contains Trans fatty acids which are carcinogenic (cancer causing) in nature.
- Where possible eat organic to avoid exposure to pesticides and herbicides which can cause free radical formation in excess.
- An occasional glass of red wine is good for the heart but limit your alcohol consumption otherwise.
- Reduce your intake of salt and saturated fats.
- Avoid caffeine, red meat, white flour, white sugar, chemical food additives, pesticides and tap water.
- Get regular exercise. Exercise is most important in slowing the ageing process because it increases the amount of oxygen available to body tissues, a key determinant of energy and stamina. Brisk walking and stretching exercises are good as is swimming because it provides a low impact exercise and exerts no ‘wear and tear’ pressure on the joints. No matter how old you are – whether you are thirty or ninety – you can re-build muscle. Isn’t that exciting!
- Maintain an active interest in life and avoid STRESS when possible. Stress has a detrimental effect on your emotional, mental, spiritual and PHYSICAL body and has been associated with the formation of free radicals within the body. Science has found that brain cells do not die as we age if we keep our minds active. Hobbies, reading and acquiring new skills exercise the brain and help prevent memory loss.
Read another 7 anti-ageing action steps here >>